Japanese English Jokes!

We just had dinner at our favourite tempura restaurant and these are some of the jokes our elderly Japanese friends told us:

When a Japanese tells you “Agetofu” (literally: fried tofu); he or she is trying to say: “I get off” in English.

When he or she says “Saito Shingu” (literally: Saito family’s worship items); he or she is trying to mean: “sightseeing” in English.

When he or she says “Hota imo ijiru na” (literally: Don’t tamper with the picked potatoes), he or she is trying to mean: “What time is dinner?” in English.

Here's another common joke: Whenever I go, "I will show you...", kids would exclaim "shoyu!", thinking that I am talking about soy sauce.

And this is what I tell my kids when I teach them days of the week.

Monday: Manjyu (Japanese bun) Day.

Tuesday: is Tuesday. I couldn’t think of anything funny.

Wednesday: Ue (up there) nesu Day.

Thursday: Tasukete (Help!) Day.

Friday: Ebifry (fried prawns) Day.

Saturday: Satsuma imo (sweet potato) Day.

Sunday: ichi, ni, san (1, 2, 3) Day.

Just for laughs!

Popular posts from this blog

Modified Mee Pok dry in Owase?

Kyushu & Shikoku Travels – 熊本市 (Kumamoto) & 阿蘇山 (Mount Aso or Asosan)

Ueno Tenjin Matsuri!